What is Open Data?
Open data is data that anyone can access, use or share. When big companies or governments release non-personal data, it enables small businesses, citizens and medical researchers to develop resources which make crucial improvements to their communities.
Some of us worry about sensitive health records being “made open”. Some confuse commercial and personal data, or mix up big data with open data. It’s easily done. We’ve created this visual to show you the different types of data that exist out there.
Open data impacts everybody. Through it we can improve how we access healthcare services, discover cures for diseases more efficiently, understand our governments better and, of course, travel to places more easily. New open data opportunities are constantly being discovered and we’re trying to encourage these discoveries.
Creating an effective data strategy is often the first step towards unlocking the benefits of open data, stay competitive, manage risk and keep up to date with legislation.
How we can help you:
- Understand the fundamentals of open data, improve knowledge and awareness of it in your organisation.
- Learn how mature your open data practices are, create and implement an open data strategy, and publish open datasets.
- Set the strategic direction for data in your organisation, inspiring senior staff to take a data-informed approach.
- Highlight current challenges and opportunities for data users and beneficiaries, specify data infrastructure needs and create an action plan.
- Identify a set of activities that will help your organisation deliver on its data strategy.
- Achieve organisational and individual buy-in for your plan, encouraging your whole team to feel involved.
We offer three open data packages:
Introduction to open data
- Introduction to the data spectrum workshop
- Building a healthy data ecosystem training
- Open data essentials training
- Open data in a day training
Open data maturity
- Open data maturity assessment tool
- Open data pathway
- Open data maturity assessment workshop
- Open Data Certificates
- Strategic data skills training
- User-centric data publishing