**Last updated on 27 July 2023**
We collect data about you when you sign up to attend ODI events. This does not include our training courses. We do this so we can manage the running of the event. Data about you is processed using Eventbrite and/or Hopin, who provide us with the guest list and analytics.
You have rights over what is done with data that is about you. You can contact us at [email protected] if you want to get a copy of that data. You can also ask us to update it, delete it or stop using it.
- ODI Members
- Signing up to a course
- Signing up to our newsletter
What data do we collect and why?
When you sign up to our events, we ask for and keep the following:
- your name, so we know how to address you
- your email address, so we can contact you if there are changes or updates to the event
- your job title and organisation so we can consider both when planning content for the event
- your dietary requirements (if it’s a catered event)
- whether you are a member or not (so we can offer members a discount)
- whether you’d like to opt in to receive our newsletter, The Week in Data
whether you’d like to opt in to hear about sponsoring events (where appropriate)
- whether you’d like to opt in to receive news about other ODI products, services or events
We store this data until you delete your account, which you can do by emailing [email protected].
How do we use this data?
We use this data to:
- send you event reminders in the lead up to the event
- send you any event updates or changes, such as date or location
- order catering for the event for appropriate numbers and dietary requirements (if appropriate)
- add sign ups to other mailing lists (if opted in)
We do not use it for any automated decision making.
How do we share this data?
We share this data with Eventbrite and/or Hopin, who process your data in order to send you event reminders and record event participants.
We have made sure the third parties who are not in the EU protect the data to the same extent as companies in the EU.
We may also need to share this data with the authorities if they ask us to do so.
What rights and control do you have?
Because we operate in the UK, you have rights over the data about that we collect. You can:
- ask for a copy of data we have collected about you
- ask us to update that data
- ask us to delete it (but you will not be able to attend the event you’ve signed up to without this information being on our records)
- ask us to stop using it
If you ask for a copy of data we have about you, we have to provide it to you free of charge. You can ask us to send it directly to a third party. We have to provide it in a commonly-used machine-readable format.
You can do this by contacting [email protected].
Please tell us if you have concerns about how we collect, use or share data about you. You can also raise your concerns with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
When was this policy last updated?
Who can I talk to about this policy?
The data controller for this website is Open Data Institute of 4th Floor, Kings Place, 90 York Way, N1 9AG.