The data ethics maturity model is a tool for anyone who collects, uses and shares data. It helps assess and benchmark how widely embedded data ethics culture and practices are across your organisation.
The model provides a framework to consider current performance and future ambitions and to embed a culture of ethical data practices. This tool builds on the Open Data Institute’s Data Ethics Canvas, which helps identify and manage ethical issues within a specific project.
Data ethics in practice
The model can be used in the following ways:
- When first engaging with data ethics, the maturity model can help you in conversations with teams and specific stakeholders
- It can help you benchmark departments (or teams) within your organisation against each theme in the model - to provide an overall profile for the organisation around their data ethics maturity
- It can support the development of an action plan to embed ethical data practises across a department, or organisation
The Data Ethics Maturity Model is for anyone who collects, uses or shares data
It may be especially useful for:
- Leaders who want to shape an organisation's ethical framework
- Technical teams who collect, use or share data
- People managing teams responsible for collecting, using and sharing data
- Data professionals working on data transformation or embedding trustworthy data practices
Are you trying to build a culture of data ethics? Are you curious about how mature your organisation's data practices are? Get in contact.