Open Data Science: Wednesday 25 July
Wed, 25 Jul 2018, 09:15
Third Floor, 65 Clifton Street, London, EC2A 4JE
- Skills and literacy
- Course Open Data Science: Wednesday 25 April 2018 (Leeds) Wed, 25 Apr 2018, 09:30 ODI Leeds, 3rd Floor, Munro House, Duke Street, Leeds, LS9 8AG
- Course Open Data Science: Thursday 26 April 2018 Thu, 26 Apr 2018, 09:15 Open Data Institute, 65 Clifton Street, London, EC2A 4JE
Data science skills are increasingly one of the most demanded skills in organisations worldwide. More and more businesses are recognising the immense value of being able to derive knowledge and insight from data.
But ‘data science’ is an interdisciplinary field, combining the knowledge of between three and eight different disciplines in one role. For anyone looking to gain data science skills, it can be incredibly challenging to know where to start.
This is why at the ODI we created our Open Data Science one-day course. Explore key data science disciplines, learn how to access and use the openly available tools required to succeed and get expert advice from the ODI’s Senior Trainer and Data Scientist, Dr David Tarrant.
- Introduction to data science: What exactly is it and why it is so “cool”?
What makes a data scientist and what evidence is there for this?
- Big data science: It’s all about big data…right?
Learn how to visualise 6 million rows of data (updated daily) in 5 minutes. Then look at the statistical and ethical risks in not taking care of your data processing. Can you avoid falling in the traps?
- Machine learning: The do’s and dont’s.
Explore machine learning with our highly acclaimed machine learning game. Can you win against the other teams while learning a number of different techniques?
- Visual exploration of data: A data scientists toolkit.
The final session looks at the different techniques to quickly explore and visualise different types of data.
Want to learn more about data science?
This course has been designed as an introduction to Data Science in general. The course was developed in collaboration with the European Data Science Academy project that has produced a course dashboard of recommended courses in data science.
Find your path as a Data Scientist on the EDSA courses dashboard.