The ODI undertakes research on a broad range of areas related to open data. Our research work includes:
- Exploring the evidence for the impact of open data
- Research and development of tools and standards to assist producers, publishers and users of open data
- Examining the implications, challenges and opportunities of deploying open data at web scale
- Applications of open data to address or illuminate real-world problems
Data-and-Platform-as-a-Service (DaPaaS): will simplify the consumption of open (and linked) data, by delivering a platform for publishing, consuming and reusing open data, as well as deploying open data applications.
OpenDataMonitor: will provide users with an online monitoring and analytics platform for open data in Europe. It will provide insights into open data availability and publishing platforms by developing and delivering an analysis and visualisation platform that harvests and analyses multilingual metadata from local, regional and national data catalogues.
Share-PSI: is the European network for the exchange of experience and ideas around implementing open data policies in the public sector. It brings together 45 partners covering 26 countries with representatives from government departments, standards bodies, academic institutions, commercial organisations, trade associations and interest groups. Throughout 2014-15, five workshops will be hosted which examine different aspects of PSI and open data. Through traditional calls for participation, presentations and workshops, the group will create case studies which will input into the W3C Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group, who are compiling a W3C standard that will help guide people and organisations around the world as they build the Web of data.
DaPaaS and OpenDataMonitor are co-funded by the Seventh Framework Programme for research and technological development (FP7). Share PSI is co-funded by the European Commission under the ICT Policy Support Programme (ICT PSP) as part of the Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme.
If you’d like to collaborate with us on a research project there are a number of possible opportunities:
- Externally funded research projects related to open data
- Research grant proposals: we actively participate in proposal development for research funding schemes such as FP7/Horizon2020 and UK research councils.
- Research visits, placements and secondments: we consider requests for researchers wishing to spend time at the ODI
- Student projects: we work with universities to develop (and where appropriate, to co-supervise) student projects related to open data
For further details on any of our projects, or if you’d like to collaborate with us, please contact [email protected].