Permanent Secretary of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Clare has been Permanent Secretary of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs since August 2015. She is responsible for the overall management of the Department, which is one of those most affected by EU exit.
Her previous roles include:
- Director General, Rail Executive in the Department for Transport
- Director General, Corporate Group, Department for Transport
- Constitution Director, Ministry of Justice
- Head, NHS Foundation Trust Unit, Department of Health
- Principal Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Health
- Secondments to the NHS and the UCL School of Public Policy
Clare has a long-standing interest in leadership, change and diversity.
She is a member of the Westminster Abbey Institute Council of Reference and the Advisory Council of the Cambridge Centre for Science and Policy. She was awarded a CB in the 2016 New Year Honours List.
Clare will discuss 'How to Design for Open Government and Enterprise' at the ODI Summit 2016.