Location: Shoreditch, London
Salary: up to £40,000 per annum plus benefits
We are looking for a Technical Consultant to join the growing ODI team who can research and deliver innovative projects for our clients.
About the ODI
The Open Data Institute (ODI) was co-founded by two visionary leaders, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the web, Sir Nigel Shadbolt, renowned AI professor. Our mission is to build a strong, fair and sustainable data economy, by helping businesses and governments get data to people who need it. We help our partners to inform decisions, drive efficiencies and create opportunities using data.
The ODI works with governments, NGOs and commercial enterprises all over the world. We deliver advisory, training and research and development services, encompassing public policy, business strategy and technology. Our programme of work is busy and constantly changing. We are committed to producing work at a very high standard and delivering measurable value to our partners and clients.
About the role
We are looking to appoint a Technical Consultant with experience of working with data, who can help us to design, manage and deliver exciting projects across different sectors.
The ideal candidate will be someone with a background in data and/or technology, but is comfortable performing a variety of roles, including designing delivery plans and managing relationships with clients. In this role you’ll be undertaking technical research, working with our technical team to help design prototypes, developing our technical guidance around use and publication of data, and delivering advice through workshops and other engagements in the UK and overseas.
You should feel comfortable working with and talking about data, and will enjoy helping other people to use data thoughtfully and in new and interesting ways. Your technical background and experience of working with or managing data, will help us deliver solid technical guidance and recommendations to a variety of public and private sector organisations.
You will have managed and delivered projects before, and will know how to set them up well, keep them moving and report against milestones. You will have determination to get things done and want to work in a fast-growing organisation.
You will have:
- Problem-solving and strategic planning ability and analytical skills.
- Excellent organisational, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to quickly assimilate complex information on a variety of topics.
- Flexibility and the ability to work effectively in a team, and cope with pressure and challenges.
- The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, keeping track of priorities and client needs.
- A passion for delivering outstanding work.
In the role of Technical Consultant you will:
- Lead and manage projects, taking them from design to delivery and evaluation.
- Ensure that our projects and client work is clearly planned, delivered to a high standard and meets the reporting needs of our funders.
- Deliver projects that might involve:
- supporting the design of technical prototypes,
- undertaking research,
- delivering presentations,
- or providing technical advice for public or private sector organisations that want to innovate with data or use their data more effectively.
- Write clear, structured project plans and create project documentation.
- Develop and deliver compelling content for a wide range of stakeholders.
- Collaborate effectively across the organisation and with partners, associates and clients and share outputs with the ODI’s network.
We are looking for a person who will bring knowledge and experience, together with a positive and adaptable working style to the ODI.
Skills and experience – essential
- Technical experience of working with data or open data.
- Experience of managing projects within a consultancy, NGO or not-for-profit context.
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent professional experience.
- Strong IT and research or analytical skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to work independently and effectively on projects, including the ability to take responsibility for and show ownership of work.
- Deal comfortably with government and corporate clients.
Skills and experience – desirable
- Experience of managing budgets and financial reporting of project milestones.
- Experience of web tools such as Google Suite docs/sheets/hangout/mail and Skype.
- Experience working in a policy/strategic consultancy.
About the ODI team
Teamwork We are all here to work towards achieving the aims and mission of the ODI. All team members are required to work together across departments and with colleagues to ensure the long-term success and sustainability of the ODI.
Agility To meet the changing demands of a rapidly growing organisation we will need to be agile to meet shifting challenges and workloads. Team members will be required to take on or let go of tasks and responsibilities that will be both reasonable and within their capabilities.
Respect The ODI expects everyone to respect and comply with the principles of dignity at work and equal opportunities for everyone. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and welcome applications from people who will add to our culture, not just fit with it.
Confidentiality We are all about open data but what comes with that is the need to be mindful of people’s personal data, intellectual property, and any business-sensitive data.
- 3% contributory pension
- 30 days’ annual holiday
- Life Assurance cover
- Long-term disability cover
- Critical illness cover
- Flexible working
- Coaching and mentoring for skills and personal development
- £750 annual training budget toward your own professional development
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate for the role to [email protected] by 5pm (GMT) on 28 February 2018.