Location: Shoreditch, London
Salary: £30,000 per annum (pro rata) plus pension and benefits
Fixed Term Contract until 30 November 2018
About the ODI
Co-founded by the inventor of the web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, and renowned AI professor, Sir Nigel Shadbolt, the ODI works to build a strong, fair and sustainable data economy by helping businesses and governments get data to people who need it, informing decisions, driving efficiencies and creating opportunities using data.
We are looking to appoint a new Startup Programmes Marketing Manager who will work with our two flagship accelerator programmes – OpenActive and Data Pitch.
About the OpenActive Accelerator
The OpenActive Accelerator is part of groundbreaking open data initiative supported by Sport England and set to disrupt digital innovation in the sport and physical activity sector.
Building on ODI’s history supporting 120+ innovative data startups worldwide, and unlocking over £40m of impact so far, the ODI is seeking to replicate this impact with startups focusing on sport and physical activity, to make it easier for the millions of people in England who struggle to stay active.
The 6-month OpenActive Accelerator supports ready-to-market startups using open data to develop digital products and services that help people get active. It will run from May to October 2018.
About the Data Pitch Accelerator
DataPitch is an open innovation programme funded by the EU’s H2020 Framework Programme. Its mission is to accelerate the growth of the European digital economy by connecting and supporting the main stakeholders in the data ecosystem. It is delivered by The University of Southampton, Open Data Institute, Beta-i and Dawex. One of the ways that we are building and strengthening the ecosystem is by running a 6-month accelerator that will support up to 50 startups in two cohorts, one in 2018, which started in February (and will end in July), and the other in 2019.
About the role
This is a critical role, working with both accelerator programmes to:
- Raise the accelerator profiles amongst startup networks and potential partners to strengthen support and build interest.
- Develop a powerful network of participants and their supporters in each of the programmes, embedding a sense of camaraderie and common purpose.
- Facilitate and deliver the sharing of knowledge, learning and expertise amongst programme participants, across the ODI networks and in the wider world.
- Gather and communicate evidence of outcomes and impact created from the accelerator programmes, via case studies and quantitative measures.
You will be playing a key role in delivering a number of activities across the OpenActive and Data Pitch accelerators, specifically where we are looking to amplify their work and attract new partners. You will be embedded in the accelerator teams, where you will work with communications and marketing specialists. You will also be a part of the wider OpenActive and Data Pitch teams. These teams include members who are responsible for leading and shaping the overall communications and engagement strategies for each project. Your role will be complementary to these activities and you will need to work closely with colleagues to ensure that roles and responsibilities are well defined and understood across the projects. In addition, you will be a part of the ODI’s wider Publishing, Engagement and Culture team, and will work in a mutually beneficial way. Specifically we will be looking for you to:
- Form close relationships with each accelerator, the project delivery teams and startups involved, in order to surface the best stories and evidence of impact
- Create case studies and other short and long form content that you will then publish and promote across owned and 3rd party channels
- Develop marketing materials to support the accelerator teams in attracting new funding and delivery partners to the programmes
- Engage consistently and meaningfully with the accelerator networks online, in order to ensure that a sense of belonging and a learning culture are actively developed. As part of this you will be responsible for managing the accelerator social media feeds, ensuring that there is a regular stream of fresh and engaging content
- Consistently gather evidence of outcomes and impact among startups, creating relevant content to showcase these results, and ‘play back’ to the funding bodies for each accelerator (Sport England for OpenActive and the European Commission for Data Pitch)
- Analyse data from marketing activities to lead or support ongoing campaigns, adjusting tactics in line with what is working best. Leading or supporting campaigns depending on their scope.
About you – skills, knowledge and experience
- A good communicator whose excellent written and verbal skills can easily be adapted to suit different gatherings and circumstances.
- A real team player who’s comfortable working across multiple projects and programmes with a variety of stakeholders and interests represented
- Proven experience of researching and writing a range of content for a variety of purposes and audiences
- Strong digital and social media marketing skills
- Confidence in delivering targeted marketing campaigns for a range of audiences across multiple platforms
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and other tools that can be used to monitor the effectiveness of online campaigns
- An understanding of performance metrics & business intelligence tools, and the capability to gather and present evidence of outcomes and impact
- Ability to work independently and prioritise effectively under pressure and to short deadlines
- Organised, with excellent attention to detail
- Adaptability, flexibility and resilience, able to manage multiple competing objectives and a variety of stakeholders at the same time
- A familiarity and understanding of startup ecosystems would be advantageous
About the ODI team
Teamwork We are all here to work towards achieving the aims and mission of the ODI. All team members are required to work together across departments and with colleagues to ensure the long-term success and sustainability of the ODI.
Agility To meet the changing demands of a rapidly growing organisation we will need to be agile to meet shifting challenges and workloads. Team members will be required to take on or let go of tasks and responsibilities that will be both reasonable and within their capabilities.
Respect The ODI expects everyone to respect and comply with the principles of dignity at work and equal opportunities for everyone. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and welcome applications from people who will add to our culture, not just fit with it.
Confidentiality We are all about open data but what comes with that is the need to be mindful of people’s personal data, intellectual property, and any business-sensitive data.
- 3% contributory pension
- 30 days’ annual holiday (pro rata)
- Life Assurance cover
- Long-term disability cover
- Critical illness cover
- Flexible working
- Coaching and mentoring for skills and personal development
- £750 annual training budget (pro rata) toward your own professional development
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate for the role to [email protected] by 5pm (GMT) on Tuesday 3rd April 2018.