OpenActive Senior B2B Marketing Manager (Freelance)
Location: Shoreditch, London
Salary: day rate up to £400 per day, dependent on experience
Part-time contract (3 days per week)
Initial three month contract, with likely extension
Please note, ODI would also be open to considering alternative proposals such as a salary-based, full-time employment contract.
The Open Data Institute is looking to appoint a Senior B2B Marketing Manager to work on our sector programme OpenActive.
About the ODI
The Open Data Institute (ODI) was co-founded by two visionary leaders: Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the web, and Sir Nigel Shadbolt, renowned AI professor. Our mission is to work with companies and governments to build an open, trustworthy data ecosystem, where people can make better decisions using data and manage any harmful impacts.
The ODI works with governments, NGOs and commercial enterprises all over the world. We deliver advisory, training and research and development services, encompassing public policy, business strategy and technology. Our programme of work is busy and constantly changing. We are committed to producing work at a very high standard and delivering measurable value to our partners and clients.
In partnership with Sport England, the ODI is stewarding the OpenActive initiative which has begun to challenge inactivity in England and change this for the better. We have brought together a fragmented sector, to agree on common standards and to openly publish opportunity data. This programme, the ODI’s largest sector programme, is delivering the joint vision of Sport England and the Open Data Institute: to get people active using data.
You will be supporting the OpenActive initiative, an exciting programme that aims to make it as easy to book a badminton court as it is to book a hotel room – to help tackle the physical inactivity epidemic and improve the health of the nation. This is an opportunity to build your experience working in a fast-paced project delivery environment at the cutting edge of public and private sector data technology, policy and innovation.
About the role
As the Senior B2B Marketing Manager, you will help us grow the OpenActive initiative. We are looking for an experienced marketeer to build on our 1:1 approach to engagement, and to help us scale our impact. You will help us strengthen the community of people and organisations who make up OpenActive.
You will work closely with the OpenActive team and our partners to engage stakeholders across the public sector, sports industry and startup community. This includes offline and online marketing.
- Own and represent marketing priorities within our core team. Proctively identify marketing opportunities that contribute to wider team objectives, helping us deliver our overall strategy. Understand and communicate the value proposition for the initiative, to engage new and existing community members.
- Manage our outward channels, and make sure that they are effective. Make best use of our channels (e.g. website, blog, social media, email and newsletters), to help people understand how they can get involved and why.
- Drive conversion at each stage of our pipeline. This will involve collaborating with our Engagement Lead to ensure that 1:1 engagement and marketing work well together, and to help us improve our conversion rate, including creating relevant and engaging digital marketing campaigns to encourage organisations to join the initiative.
- Help to develop and implement a marketing strategy, and deliver a website refresh, within our working budget. You must have experience in project management, and work effectively alongside external agency/agencies, whom you will brief and manage throughout the year. Specifically the delivery of multiple simultaneous projects within tight timeframes, whilst maintaining the highest standard of work.
- Manage the content creation process. Oversee the creation of blogs, interviews and case studies to communicate progress and inspire organisations to get involved. Enable and facilitate members of the team and our network to create high quality and relevant content on a regular basis. This includes editing, proof-reading and writing of marketing collateral.
- Manage our presence at events. We need to make sure that the initiative is well represented at industry events and workshops, either by the ODI team or by other active members of the community. Proactively identify and prioritise future events and/or speaking opportunities based on how closely they align to our programme objectives, and source speakers where relevant.
- Work with existing networks and communities to amplify the reach of the initiative. We need to collaborate with organisations like ukactive, the Sport and Recreation Alliance and the Outdoor Industries Association to maximise the visibility of the initiative. This includes proactively working with these networks and communities to facilitate them in becoming independent advocates for our cause, while still being aligned and on-message.
About you – skills, knowledge, and experience
- Experience of implementing a marketing strategy in a business-to-business context
- Strong digital and social media marketing skills
- A good communicator with excellent written and verbal skills that can easily be adapted to suit different gatherings and circumstances.
- A team player who is comfortable working across multiple projects with a variety of stakeholders and interests represented
- Confidence in delivering targeted marketing campaigns for a range of audiences across multiple platforms
- An understanding of performance metrics and business intelligence tools, and the capability to gather and present evidence of outcomes and impact
- Ability to work independently and prioritise effectively under pressure and to short deadlines
- Organised, with excellent attention to detail
- Adaptability, flexibility and resilience, able to manage multiple competing objectives and a variety of stakeholders at the same time
- A familiarity and understanding of startup ecosystems and/or the physical activity sector and/or open data
- Experience in managing digital agencies
- Understanding of GDPR compliance
If you feel like you are suited to this role but don’t have all of the skills listed above, we encourage you to still apply.
You are good at what you do. You use your expertise to help with ODI’s mission. You are open and generous with that expertise and experience, and share it outside and inside ODI.
You can get better at what you do. You recognise the limits of your expertise and respect that of others. You are open to and seek advice, opinions and support to develop your expertise, within and outside ODI. You reflect on what works and what doesn’t to consciously learn, improve and grow.
You succeed when others flourish. You support and challenge others to do their best work. You open up opportunities for other people and organisations, and empower them to take them. You are as open as possible about what you are doing and what you have learnt. You encourage others to refine and build on your work.
You empathise with others so you can help them. You find out what people and organisations really need. You have empathy with their motivations and the constraints they operate under. You communicate in terms they understand.
You are trusted because you are honest and responsible. You are open with your opinion, open to hearing what others say, open to being wrong and open to changing your mind. You are not afraid to speak your mind when it is useful or important, and take responsibility for the results of doing so. You actively and curiously listen to others, and take responsibility for your responses to them.
You can do more than you might think. You are bold, creative and open to failure. You know what you do won’t be perfect at first but that doesn’t stop you. You start small and quickly and iterate to improve.
How to apply
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would be a suitable candidate to [email protected].