Learning and Development Specialist – Data Trainer
Location: Shoreditch, London
Salary: Up to £35,000 per annum plus benefits
We are looking for a Learning and Development Specialist – Data Trainer, to join the growing ODI team who can design and deliver innovative learning for our clients.
About the ODI
The Open Data Institute (ODI) was co-founded by two visionary leaders: Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the web, and Sir Nigel Shadbolt, renowned AI professor. Our mission is to work with companies and governments to build an open, trustworthy data ecosystem, where people can make better decisions using data and manage any harmful impacts.
We deliver advisory, training and research and development services, encompassing public policy, business strategy and technology. Our programme of work is busy and constantly changing. We are committed to producing work at a high standard, delivering measurable value to our partners and clients aligned to our mission.
About the role
We are looking for a Learning and Development Specialist Trainer to join the team. We help people to develop the mindset and skills to understand the possibilities of data and we help our clients to build data literate organisations. We provide them with practical data skills as well as the strategy skills they need to manage innovation and change through our learning programmes.
The ODI wants people, organisations and communities to use data to make better decisions and be protected from any harmful impacts. Key to this are the knowledge and skills that people need to achieve this. Our theory of change aims for a world where the maximum positive impact from data is realised, supported by openness and trust in data.
In the role, you’ll use your skills and experience in learning design and training, to support this theory of change. You can read more in our latest strategy.
We are looking for someone to join the team who can help inspire and give others the practical skills to help create value from data in a way that is equitable, ethical and engaging.
In the role, you’ll use your knowledge of learning, combined with our data literacy skills framework (see below) to deliver existing ODI courses and design and deliver new learning solutions for individuals and organisations. Our learning projects are varied across sectors and countries and include training courses, workshops, online and eLearning modules and webinars.
- Work with the ODI’s client facing Business Development team to engage with internal and external clients, understand learning needs and scope new learning projects.
- Develop learning outcomes, curriculum and learning content to achieve the goals and needs of our clients.
- Update and deliver training based on existing ODI courses.
- Work with the learning team to identify areas for improvement in learning offerings to ensure consistency and quality.
- Champion learning best practice in our network of trainers and be a mentor for other trainers delivering our content.
- Design and deliver new learning projects and programmes; from workshops and training sessions to online webinars and eLearning modules.
- Work with the ODI’s Policy, Research and Technology teams to translate up to date concepts and ideas into our learning products.
- Evaluate courses, workshops and other learning processes and strengthen our ability to assess learning outcomes.
- Help manage customer and client relationships.
About you – skills, knowledge and experience
We are looking for someone who is a data expert, and has skills and experience in designing and delivering training.
As an data expert we are looking for someone who can demonstrate their knowledge and skills in a broad range of areas outlined in both our strategy and learning skills framework.
You may be an experienced learning professional, with a qualification in a related learning field, or equivalent experience e.g in adult learning, teaching, education or training. You may have experience in either workshop facilitation, training, instructional design or eLearning creation. Alternatively you may have limited learning and training experience, but the desire, passion and motivation to learn and expand these skills, to share your expertise in data.
Most importantly, we are looking for someone who not only knows about the huge positive benefits data can bring but knows how to deliver such benefits. We are looking for someone with some of the practical and strategic skills who is passionate about helping others realise the full potential of open data.
Skills and Experience
Data related skills and experience
- Wide ranging knowledge of subjects outlined in our skills framework and applications in different domains and ability to learn new ideas and content to expand areas of knowledge.
- Experience in using a wide variety of tools throughout the data lifecycle (including but not limited to Excel, OpenRefine, SPSS, Tableau, CKAN).
Learning related skills and experience
- Desire, passion and motivation to learn and expand your skills in the design and delivery of adult learning projects and programmes
- Have experience in the design and delivery of adult learning project and programmes.
Other skills and experience
- Be able to write engaging content on complex subjects for different audiences.
- Have experience communicating with clients at different levels of seniority.
- Have strong presentation skills to engage a range of clients and stakeholders.
- Have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Be willing and able to travel nationally and internationally.
Data related skills and experience
- Knowledge of change management, organisational change or new technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and ethical considerations of new technology.
Learning related skills and experience
- Be able to lead engaging workshops and training sessions.
- Have knowledge of modern learning delivery techniques and approaches.
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and training others to get more from data.
- Creating learning programmes in data literacy.
Experience of supporting Train the Trainer and Trainer Mentor programmes.
- Be able to learn quickly and absorb content in new and complex areas.
About the ODI team
You are good at what you do. You use your expertise to help with ODI’s mission. You are open and generous with that expertise and experience, and share it outside and inside ODI.
You can get better at what you do. You recognise the limits of your expertise and respect that of others. You are open to and seek advice, opinions and support to develop your expertise, within and outside ODI. You reflect on what works and what doesn’t to consciously learn, improve and grow.
You succeed when others flourish. You support and challenge others to do their best work. You open up opportunities for other people and organisations, and empower them to take them. You are as open as possible about what you are doing and what you have learnt. You encourage others to refine and build on your work.
You empathise with others so you can help them. You find out what people and organisations really need. You have empathy with their motivations and the constraints they operate under. You communicate in terms they understand.
You are trusted because you are honest and responsible. You are open with your opinion, open to hearing what others say, open to being wrong and open to changing your mind. You are not afraid to speak your mind when it is useful or important, and take responsibility for the results of doing so. You actively and curiously listen to others, and take responsibility for your responses to them.
You can do more than you might think. You are bold, creative and open to failure. You know what you do won’t be perfect at first but that doesn’t stop you. You start small and quickly and iterate to improve.
- 5% employer contributory pension
- 30 days annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life assurance cover
- Long term disability cover
- Critical illness cover
- £750 annual professional development budget
- Coaching and mentoring
- Flexible working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate for the role to [email protected] If you are shortlisted for an interview you will also be asked to complete a short exercise.