Location: Shoreditch, London
Salary: £18,000 per annum
Fixed Term Contract: 3 months, Summer 2018
Who we are:
The Open Data Institute is an independent, non-profit company founded by Sir Tim Berners-Lee and Sir Nigel Shadbolt. Our vision is for people, organisations and communities to use data to make better decisions and be protected from the harmful impacts of its inappropriate use and distribution. Our wide range of activities, and examples of our thought leadership, can be found on our website.
Who you are:
A university student or recent graduate looking to work at a world leading institute.
You will have:
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- curiosity and interest in ODI’s work
- the ability to work independently, reliably and creatively on a project
- adaptability and enthusiasm
- strong research and analysis skills
- a collaborative approach to working in a team
It doesn’t matter if you have previous work experience or not – we are more interested in what you feel you could contribute to the work of the ODI. It would be helpful but not essential if your studies or interests covered technology, economics or policy.
What you will do:
We are looking for 2 interns to support our innovation programme. You will work with a team of experts in learning, technology, policy, innovation, delivery and research. The work is likely to include:
- conducting research
- stakeholder mapping
- writing blog posts, case studies and reports
- helping organise and run public workshops and events both in the UK and abroad
- preparing internal briefings
Placements will last up to three months (timings are flexible), working 4-5 days per week.
What we will provide:
- London living wage during your time at the ODI
- flexible work hours
- an opportunity to learn about the global issues and opportunities created by data
- guidance on your work and, if applicable, your project
- support from our team of experts
- space to work in our open plan, collaborative workspace in London’s Shoreditch
- the opportunity to attend ODI events
Previous interns have commented that they have learned more about teamwork, developed their writing and research skills, and enjoyed life in a fast-moving startup environment.
Gillian Whitworth, an intern in 2016 said, ‘The ODI internship gave me the opportunity to work with governments, businesses and civil society organisations across the world to do amazing things. The passion and expertise of people at the ODI, and its international reach, mean that you have the opportunity to learn and gain so much over your time here – I left with some amazing experiences under my belt, and the confidence to speak as an expert about the issues and opportunities that data can present’.
- a cover letter (no more than one page) telling us why you want to be considered for this opportunity and your interest in the ODI
- a CV (no more than two pages)
to [email protected] by 5pm on Monday 21 May 2018.
We are keen to recruit soon. We will invite shortlisted candidates to an interview at the ODI in June 2018.
To learn more: please contact [email protected]