Location: Shoreditch, London
Salary: £25,000 to £30,000 per annum (dependent on experience) plus pension and benefits
Full time, permanent contract
About the ODI
The Open Data Institute (ODI) was co-founded by two visionary leaders, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the web, Sir Nigel Shadbolt, renowned AI professor. Our vision is for people, organisations and communities to use data to make better decisions and be protected from any harmful impacts.
The ODI works with companies and governments all over the world. We deliver advisory, training and research and development services, encompassing public policy, business strategy and technology. Our programme of work is busy and constantly changing. We are committed to producing work at a very high standard and delivering measurable value to our partners and clients.
About the role
Reporting to the Commercial Manager, the ideal candidate will have a willingness to learn about data and technology with a professional, customer-focused view. As part of the Business Development team, you will generate sustainable, margin-rich work based on the ODI’s core values.
On a day-to-day basis you will be in contact with a diverse range of organisations and potential clients, collaborate with colleagues to design projects that solve problems for clients, coordinate development of detailed proposals and other sales materials, track sales through the pipeline, and help the team to close new business.
You will create an impact by building close relationships with the ODI’s skills leads and the delivery team and identifying new opportunities for the ODI. You will bring creativity, enthusiasm and an interest in new ways of working.
- Assisting the Commercial Manager with converting interesting conversations and ideas into work that solves clients’ problems and makes the most of the team’s capabilities;
- Working with the Commercial Manager to make sure the sales process is utilised appropriately and efficiently;
- Ensuring the sales pipeline is accurate and up-to-date, in accordance with new leads and opportunities;
- Communicating the ODI’s sales activity with the wider team and providing regular updates and summaries;
- Working with the finance teams to ensure access to the information the team needs to produce accurate forecasts and budgets;
- Coordinating meetings and calls with public and private sector organisations that are interested in working with the ODI;
- Gathering information, attending meetings and maintaining contacts with potential clients;
- Representing and supporting the ODI at client meetings, conferences and other events;
- Coordinate the writing of outstanding proposals that explain how the ODI can address a client’s challenges;
- Assist the Commercial Manager with new bids from concept through to submission, ensuring our offers are clearly articulated and costs are transparent;
- Responsible for scoping opportunities and preliminary identification of whether the ODI’s offering and expertise is a good fit;
- Reactive sales; responding to inbound leads and engaging other ODI teams as appropriate;
- Collating pipeline information to input to Board papers and other reports, as required, on the Business Development Activity of the ODI.
About you – skills, knowledge, experience
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to short deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and move quickly between projects
- Strong IT, research or analytical skills
- A confident communicator, both written and verbal, and a problem-solver
- Organised, with excellent attention to detail
- A self-starter with the ability to prioritise effectively
- Competent and confident in use of a range of IT systems
- Demonstrate a passion for technology and data
- Have experience of sales cycles, using CRM tools and pipeline reporting
- Be familiar with how both public and private sector clients operate
- Adopt an authentic, modern and consultative approach to selling
- Experience of collaborative web tools such as Google Suite, Skype and Slack
- A background in fast-paced and agile working environment
You are good at what you do. You use your expertise to help with ODI’s mission. You are open and generous with that expertise and experience, and share it outside and inside ODI.
You can get better at what you do. You recognise the limits of your expertise and respect that of others. You are open to and seek advice, opinions and support to develop your expertise, within and outside ODI. You reflect on what works and what doesn’t to consciously learn, improve and grow.
You succeed when others flourish. You support and challenge others to do their best work. You open up opportunities for other people and organisations, and empower them to take them. You are as open as possible about what you are doing and what you have learnt. You encourage others to refine and build on your work.
You empathise with others so you can help them. You find out what people and organisations really need. You have empathy with their motivations and the constraints they operate under. You communicate in terms they understand.
You are trusted because you are honest and responsible. You are open with your opinion, open to hearing what others say, open to being wrong and open to changing your mind. You are not afraid to speak your mind when it is useful or important, and take responsibility for the results of doing so. You actively and curiously listen to others, and take responsibility for your responses to them.
You can do more than you might think. You are bold, creative and open to failure. You know what you do won’t be perfect at first but that doesn’t stop you. You start small and quickly and iterate to improve.
- 5% employer contributory pension
- 30 days annual holiday plus bank holidays
- Life assurance cover
- Long term disability cover
- Critical illness cover
- £750 annual professional development budget
- Coaching and mentoring
- Flexible working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate for the role to [email protected] by 5pm (GMT) on 18 February 2019.