Up to £25,000 – £30,000 per annum
The Open Data Institute is looking for a versatile Commercial Bid Writer to manage the bids and tender process for major new pieces of work and support the Commercial team through all aspects of the ODI’s sales process.
About the ODI
Co-founded by the inventor of the web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, and renowned AI professor, Sir Nigel Shadbolt, the ODI works to build a strong, fair and sustainable data economy by helping businesses and governments get data to people who need it, informing decisions, driving efficiencies and creating opportunities using data.
About the role
Reporting to the Senior Commercial Manager, the ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience as part of a business development team. You will lead on writing bid proposals and pitches for government and commercial opportunities. In this role, you will develop an understanding of our programmes and our approach to open data initiatives. You will be tasked with making strong business cases that result in winning bids from potential partners.
The ODI is developing a strong commercial offering to help it to sell services and other products to businesses and governments. We are looking for someone who can bring a business proposal to life and who enjoys working in a delivery focused, agile environment.
- Responsible for developing and producing engaging and effective product/service offerings to help solve problems for clients and deliver value for the ODI.
- Writing outstanding proposals that explain how the ODI can address a client’s challenges.
- Leading in new bids from concept through to fruition ensuring our offers are clearly articulated and costs are transparent.
- Develop presentations to potential clients using graphic design skills and utilise external graphic designers and printers.
- Responsibility for the quality of all aspects of the bid, especially written documentation and presentations, ensuring that submissions are clear, concise and compelling.
- Attending meetings, taking notes, keeping in touch with potential clients and developing opportunities for the ODI.
- Building the new business pipeline, scoping for opportunities (incl. ITTs), developing new client relationships, leveraging existing relationships for new opportunities.
- Reactive sales; assessing and taking maximum advantage of inbound leads, engaging other ODI teams as appropriate.
- Events; maximising all events (both ODI and external) for networking and sourcing new opportunities.
- Programme design/proposal writing; converting opportunities into effective programmes of work alongside other members of the team (e.g. PMs and delivery pool).
- Supporting the Commercial team in the development of ODI’s commercial value proposition/strategy; pulling together what the ODI has done, where it has delivered value, and using this to develop new propositions.
- Responsible for building/maintaining/improving all sales processes especially the management and oversight of the sales pipeline.
- Proactively ensuring close ties between the commercial team and the subject matter expertise and experience of the wider ODI team.
About you – skills, knowledge and experience
- A confident communicator whose excellent written and verbal skills can easily be adapted to suit the needs of the clients.
- Proven experience of writing compelling bid proposals, submissions and tenders.
- Highly organised with strong project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and prioritise effectively under pressure and to short deadlines.
- Ability to develop recommendations in line with the ODI’s strategic priorities.
- Competent and confident user of a range of IT systems.
- Organised with excellent attention to detail.
- Proven ability to write outstanding proposals and reports that clearly explain technical and policy elements of a programme of work.
- Able to professionally manage relationships with clients from a wide range of backgrounds and sectors.
- Understand, create and pursue opportunities for growth and sustainability of the ODI’s development and services work.
- Represent the ODI at meetings and conferences.
- Maintain attention to detail in tracking business opportunities and sales.
- Maintain, grow and share a contact database of global leaders in both the public and private sectors.
About the ODI team
Teamwork We are all here to work towards achieving the same aims and mission of the ODI. All team members will be required to work together across departments and with colleagues to ensure the long term success and sustainability of the ODI.
Agility To meet the changing demands of a rapidly growing organisation we will need to be agile to meet shifting challenges and workloads. Team members will be required to take on or let go of tasks and responsibilities that will be both reasonable and within their capabilities.
Respect The ODI expects everyone to respect and comply with the principles of dignity at work and equal opportunities for everyone. We are committed to diversity and inclusion and welcome applications from people who will add to our culture, not just fit with it.
Confidentiality We are all about open data but what comes with that is the need to be mindful of people’s personal data, intellectual property, and any business sensitive data. If in any doubt, please always ask first before publishing or passing on any information or data.
- 3% contributory pension
- 30 days’ annual holiday
- Life Assurance cover
- Long term disability cover
- Critical illness cover
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Flexible working
- Coaching and mentoring for skills and personal development
- £750 annual training budget toward your own professional development
How to apply
We will accept applications until we find a suitable candidate. If you would like to apply, please send a CV and cover letter to [email protected].