Open data in a day for government
The essential open data course for those working in government
Whether you have some knowledge of open data or are completely new to it, this jargon-free course will enable you to quickly get a 360 degree view of what’s going on with open data around the UK and increase your confidence in working with open data.
You will be able to explain how open data can make life better for people in your local area and how it will make your organisation more efficient.
“A great use of a day. I've learned things that will be of immediate use in my work - and I don't even consider myself a data person.” - Polly
Over the course of the day, you will learn:
- What open data is (and isn’t)
- The benefits and opportunities of open data
- How local authorities are improving public access to services using open data and empowering local people to help the community
- Case studies of successful open data projects in the local government sector and beyond
- The ways that public and private sector organisations are publishing open data
- How to minimise risks by understanding licensing and certificates
- How to discover and use open data.
“10/10...I have already suggested that all of the team here should go...” - Paul
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Describe open data
- Explain the difference between big, personal and open data
- Describe the benefits of working with open data for your organisation
- Describe successful case studies of using and publishing open data across the private and public sectors
- Explain how open data sits in the current economic climate
- Learn how to clean and validate open data
- Explain open data licences
- Differentiate between two different certification processes for open data best practice
Who is this for?
This course is for people who work in local government who want to learn how to use and publish open data, those in central government may also find the course relevant and useful.
Previous participants have included decision makers, managers, researchers, policy advisors, analysts, strategists, data owners and data publishers.
No previous experience with data is required. However a basic knowledge of how to use a spreadsheet and the web is compulsory.
Please bring a wifi-enabled laptop with a Google Chrome browser.
About ODI courses
Co-founded by the inventor of the web, Tim Berners-Lee, the ODI offers courses that are friendly, supportive, fun, and take place in our lively headquarters in Shoreditch. No question is a silly question in our classrooms, and our expert teachers will arm you with all the practical skills you need for applying what you’ve learnt to the real world.