We collect data about you when you sign up to receive The Week in Data and other promotional email newsletters. We do this so we can send you our news. Data about you is processed using MailChimp, who provide us with analytics and other services.
You have rights over what is done with data that is about you. You can contact us at [email protected] if you want to get a copy of that data. You can also ask us to update it, delete it or stop using it.
What data do we collect and why?
When you sign up to our newsletter, we ask for and keep the following:
- your name, so we know how to address you
- your email address, so we can contact you
- your job title and organisation so we can send you targeted news
- your preferred format for receiving emails (ie plain text or HTML)
- whether you are a member or not (so we don’t duplicate communications)
- your areas of interest (so we can send you relevant news and events)
You can opt-out of receiving our newsletters anytime, by clicking ‘unsubscribe’ at the bottom of the email. However, data about you will still be stored in Mailchimp to ensure we don’t contact you by mistake.
However, if you would like us to delete data about you from MailChimp, you can do by emailing [email protected].
How do we use this data?
We use this data to:
- Send you whichever newsletter you have opted in to receive (ie The Week in Data)
We do not use it for any automated decision making.
How do we share this data?
We share this data with Mailchimp, who process your data in order to send and report on the email.
We have made sure the third parties who are not in the EU protect the data to the same extent as companies in the EU.
We may also need to share this data with the authorities if they ask us to do so.
What rights and control do you have?
Because we operate in the UK, you have rights over the data about that we collect. You can:
- ask for a copy of data we have collected about you
- ask us to update that data
- ask us to delete it
- ask us to stop using it
If you ask for a copy of data we have about you, we have to provide it to you free of charge. You can ask us to send it directly to a third party. We have to provide it in a commonly-used machine-readable format.
To do this, contact [email protected].
Please tell us if you have concerns about how we collect, use or share data about you. You can also raise your concerns with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
When might this policy change?
Who can I talk to about this policy?
The data controller for this website is Open Data Institute of 5th Floor, Kings Place, 90 York Way, N1 9AG.