Merry Christmas from the ODI
When we walked into the ODI’s new offices on 1st October, I would not have predicted such a phenomenal set of results. We’ve
- Secured $750,000 match-funding from Omidyar Network
- Unlocked £850,000 with the Data Strategy Board
- Helped identify a potential £200m/year saving for the NHS
- Began work with the World Bank to train the world’s politicians and national leaders
- Supported startups Mastodon C, Placr, Locatable, Open Corporates and Honest Buildings, as well as MySociety and OKFN
- Launched our first post-graduate course
- Held our formal opening
We have welcomed more than 700 guests into our space - from government ministers to delegations from Norway and South Korea, from CEOs to artists, journalists, geeks, and open data enthusiasts. We’ve hosted Open Government Partnership, the ICT Reform Group, MacArthur Foundation, and Public Sector Transparency Board.
Nigel recalled his journey from his original concept to moving in to the Shoreditch offices.
Jeni highlighted some of our biggest challenges, and fed back on the Postcode Address File and National Pupil Database. Stuart outlined the benefits of open data to business and worked with Deloitte to demonstrate the UK’s leading position. I also helped get the word out at OpenUp, Wired’s Future London, in Civil Service World, The Guardian, and from the back of a Reuter’s taxi…
On behalf of the whole ODI team I’d like to thank you for making our first three months such an adventure, and initiating our vision of “knowledge for everyone”.
We look forward to seeing you in 2013 and wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Gavin & the ODI team